Thursday, July 23, 2015

The Quest for the Perfect Tagline

So, I'm trying to figure out the perfect tagline for Fish Wielder, and I could use your help. I've had a little experience writing taglines before for movies, TV shows and even comic books, but I hadn't realized I needed one for my book until the awesome folks at Fiery Seas Publishing sent me their production package which asked for my tagline.

Since I hadn't already picked one out, and trying to respond as promptly as possible to their request, I quickly sent them two options. For the first one, I tried to be descriptive of the things that happen in the story:

"The Brotherhood of the Bad Religion is trying to resurrect the Dark Lord Mauron… again, and only the barbarian warrior Thoral Mighty Fist and his talking goldfish, Brad, can stop them from finding the ancient chocolate Pudding of Power and enslaving the magic land of Grome."  In the second one, I tried to be more suggestive of the flavor of the story--the tone and feel:

"Fish Wielder is a bit like Lord of the Rings set in Narnia if it had been written by the Monty Python troupe working with the band They Might be Giants."

Since then, I've modified the second one slightly to read:

"Fish Wielder is a ridiculously epic fantasy, like Lord of the Rings set in Narnia if it had been written by the Monty Python troupe working with the band They Might be Giants."

And at that point, I put them both up on the Fish Wielder Facebook page in order to ask the people there which they liked better. So far, #2 is winning by a large margin (large margin always makes me think of Large Marge from Pee Wee's Big Adventure).  

While the votes are still coming in, I did get a suggestion from someone who has read the book that I should alter #2 again to read:

"Fish Wielder is an epically silly epic fantasy, like Lord of the Rings set in Narnia if it had been written by the Monty Python troupe working with the band They Might Be Giants."

So, that's where things stand at the moment. I'm working on my tag-line and I'd appreciate your feedback. Please let me know what you think in the comments, or by putting in your two cents on the Facebook page.

Thanks,

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment